4.11.2009

360's D-pad Is Complete Crap


I bought Street Fighter IV. Overall, I have to say it's a pretty damn outstanding game. If you've played it, you know that and if you haven't, you should. I am pretty shocked that the jump to 3D hasn't hurt the series or even slowed it down the way I just assumed it would. Visions of Street Fighter EX haunted me until I finally saw some videos of IV in action. This game makes every bit of the 700 bucks I blew on my LCD TV worth it.


Something else I felt compelled to purchase along with this awesomely kick ass game is a Mad Catz Fightpad (aka the Genesis Fighter Pad with an Xbox Guide Button on it). That brings me to my first batch of complaints. Why, Microsoft, do you insist creating a controller with the worst D-pad in the history of gaming? To add insult to injury, you also will not allow third parties to make wireless controllers. What does that mean? It means that in order to make Street Fighter IV and Street Fighter II HD Remix playable, I have to buy a 40 dollar corded controller. Corded!! Why in the wide world of sports am I being forced to use a corded controller? The PS3 fightpad is not corded, which definitely makes me wish I owned a PS3, to be honest with you. I would have passed up the 360 version of SF IV just so I didn't have to deal with the hassle of a corded controller. That said, the fightpad is just freaking awesome. Seriously, I tried played Street Fighter II HD Remix with the 360 controller, which I am an absolute fan boy for and it's just not right. Analog stick is not equal to arcade stick, contrary to what some people apparently think. Since I can't afford a nice 150 dollar arcade stick, though, I went with the next best thing.

I actually have a lot of thoughts on this game, so I think I am going to space it out to give me something to post about. I still haven't touched on my thoughts on Seth, throws or the fact that Ken and Ryu are apparently the only two fighters anyone online wants to us. More on all of that in the next few days.


2 comments:

  1. It's probably something you'll get into and you touched on it with saying that ken and ryu are the only people anyone uses online but I love that Street Fighter still ignores any attempt at a balance between characters. Don't get me wrong I love this game and FINALLY finished unlocking everyone in it this weekend and having beaten arcade mode with everyone it's painfully obvious that not all SF characters are created equal. In a way this only hurts the game because it leads to a staleness that comes from only using the same handful of characters. For me it's Ken, Sagat and Vega. Also, Seth may very well be the absolute worst character in any fighting game in my opinion. Poor design both visually and move wise. You know what Capcom, having a final boss that does everyone else's moves isn't original. Midway beat you to it and his name was Tsang Tsung.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yea, my next post was going to address my issues with the balance of this and, really, every SF game. Playing as Abel, I am just like, "Look, give me a ranged or give me a way to shut ranged down. FUCK!"

    ReplyDelete